This wiki was forked from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid FANDOM. It is currently under renovation. You can help by rewriting and cleaning up a page!
Diary of a Wimpy Kid (online)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Online is the original version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid that is found on www.funbrain.com. It was first published in 2004, with new pages being added each day until 2005. The books are based on the online book and are also written by Jeff Kinney. According to the book Who Is Jeff Kinney?, Kinney created the online book to gather others' opinions of it before he would consider to publish it as a book. The online version is basically a mashup of the first five books in the series and has 1,285 pages. For differences between the online book and the published series, see Differences of the Online book, Book Series, and Film.
The first artwork of the online book was made in 1998 and in 2004 Jeff Kinney uploaded it. Although he had made many strips, only a few made the cut in the main books.
Synopsis (Work in Progress)
A 7th grader named Greg Heffley is starting the school year. He starts the book by saying that he won't be writing his feelings in the diary and it's a journal not a diary, preferring to call it a journal instead. Greg says that Rodrick Heffley, his brother has to scrub toilets if he wrote in that diary, so Greg try's to be very careful with his diary. Greg then says that the only reason he agreed to get a journal was so when he becomes rich and famous, he'll give the diary to the reporters rather than answering questions about his childhood. He then reveals that it is his first day of middle school, and tells the reader that they better be careful when choosing a seat, because the teacher may say that your seats are permanent. Stuck with Chris Hosey in front of him and Lionel James behind him, Otha Harris came in late and almost sat to his right, but Greg stopped it from happening. Greg says that next time he's just going to sit down in the middle of a bunch of girls, but ponders his decision, saying girls are complicated. In homeroom, he got stuck with a teacher that had Rodrick a few years back.
Greg is woken up by Rodrick saying its his first day of middle school and he's late. Greg goes downstairs and gets his clothes on, but Frank catches Greg eating Cheerios at 3 AM. Greg tells him Rodrick tricked him. But Rodrick is asleep in his room and Greg says now Frank thought he was a idiot AND a liar.
Greg describes about that Alex Aruda and Larry Ziegel that are smart lids. He can only think of one kid who broke the last name rule and that's Peter Uteger, he was the smartest kid until 5th grade where the kids started giving him a hard time about how his initials sounded when you said them, Peter Uteger doesn't raise his hand at ALL, and is pretth much a C student. Greg's younger brother, Manny writes on Greg's door with a marker and his parents defend him. Rodrick stopped letting Greg sell chocolate bars for a school fundraiser. Greg also describes about Manny calling him "Bubby" and keeping that nickname for 5 years.
Greg finds a piece of cheese on the ground at the basketball court and thinks it might have dropped out of someone's sandwich. However Darnell Washington tripped and fell and brushed the Cheese with his Finger and started the Cheese Touch, eventually Abe Hall got the cheese touch and moved. The only way to protect yourself from the Cheese Touch is crossing your Fingers. Greg taped his fingers but ended up getting a D In handwriting.
Greg says about Frank waking up at 6 AM vacuuming. Frank sees the baddest teenager in their Neighborhood, Lenwood Heath. Greg described Lenwood's parents sent him off to military academy in Pennsylvania. The sun also goes through the sliding glass door and that's hard when Greg watches TV. Rowley from Ohio, says "Wanna come over to my house and Play?". Greg tries to become friends with Rowley when Greg's best friend, Ben moves to Piscataway.
Frank runs into Mr. Swann at church and Mr. Swann tells Frank all about Bishop Garrigan. However, Greg hates it cause it's all boys. Mr. Swann has 3 kids who are the same ages as the Heffley children, and Frank's carpool passes by their house every night.
Greg wakes up and think its still summer vacation.
Greg wanted Christine Coolidge to be her lab partner, but she is paired up with someone else. Ronnie James was the fastest runner in the 7th grade.
Frank shows Greg some new stuff that he added on his civil war diorama in the basement. Greg mentions that Frank wants to work on the diorama for hours at a time, but Susan makes him watch rom-coms. Frank also tells Manny that he heard grunting noises in the workroom so he won't go there as well.
Greg sees Frank cleaning around the house, so he went to Rowley's. Greg says the reason why he hasn't been to Rowley's to spend the night for over a year is because they made up a secret language after seeing a corny movie.
- Frank Heffley
- Susan Heffley
- Rodrick Heffley
- Manny Heffley
- Rowley Jefferson
- Ben Fielders
- Greg Heffley
- Many characters have different names than their series counterparts.
- The book most likely takes place in New Jersey, since it says that Greg's best friend, Ben, is moving to Piscataway, which is a town that, in real life, is only in New Jersey. It also has Shop and Stop, later changed to Home Depot in the book, which means it is likely somewhere in the East Coast. However, both have been changed in the book.
- As mentioned above, the book is basically a mashup of the first six books in the series, but draws mostly from the first three.
- In this version, alcohol references are made, such as when Rodrick's party was discovered and shown in the picture taken by the camera that Rodrick was holding alcohol
- There's a page where Jeff Kinney asked if the fans would like it to be adapted as book.
- The online version shows more violence than the books
- Greg and Rowley are revealed to be in 7th grade.
- Greg's birthday is in February (during the winter) instead of during the summer (in June).
- The last scenes from the online version to have a big role in the books was the scenes with the Drummies in Cabin Fever.
- Some speech bubbles, such as the one on page 30, appear in front of the blue lines in the background.
- Mr. Underwood calls Stinky "Fregley" when introducing him to Greg.
- On page 13, "your" is misspelled as "our."
- On page 26, "nobody" is misspelled as "nodoby."
- Greg's speech bubble on page 36 is facing the wrong way.
- After Ann told Gramma where she got the tabloids, in the sentence "Mom found where Gramma was stashing the tabloids", the word "the" is spelt as "he" This is also happens on page 493.
- On page 257, "about" is misspelled "aout."
- Page 386 is missing a space.
- Greg say “Pappy” on page 387 except Grampa/Grandpa
- On page 608, the word bubble was pointing the wrong way.
- On page 394,"words" is spelled "wordsl".
- Page 875 and 876 both show a picture of Greg wearing his speedos and talking about he wished he hadn't weared it.
- On page 36, Greg's speech bubble is facing the wrong way and is all the way at the top right corner
- On page 906, Frank says "kind of". However, it is seen as "kindof"
- On page 608 Fregly needs to use the bathroom But the speech bubble for the teacher is facing the wrong way.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid online on Funbrain